Matches Spy

Friday, May 30, 2008

Whilst I try I recover from the evil tooth and take a break from work, I thought I'd share with you the latest project I've worked on. I don't know why I haven't posted about this yet (or have I? I've found myself getting increasingly forgetful about what work I've posted and what work I haven't!). I was asked to create the cover illustrations and layout for Matches latest look book (and hopefully later, their customer catalogue) for their "Spy" brand. It was pretty much a dream job, I spent time looking at everything they sell (unfortunately out of my price range but wonderful nonetheless) and creating some really intricate pieces based around them.



The book was choc full of everything they sell, these pages were my favourite just because it was a pure showcase for all of their new products...some of which I was particularly happy to see like David David whose kaleidoscopic work is a pleasure to the eyes.

And they were kind enough to give me a lovely credit at the end...always a plus, although it's strange seeing your name in print!


ps. I apologise for the slightly fuzzy photos, I have a birthday coming up very soon and think I may treat myself to a new camera...any recommendations?

15 comments :

annie said...

lovely as usual! splurge with a canon rebel xt or a nikon d60 or d70. they're pretty clunky but the quality of pictures for the price is nonpareil.

tricia of bitsandbobbins.com said...

i heard the nikon d60 isn't that fab, comparatively: http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d60.htm

i have the d40, which i love. and it's cheaper than the d60. not sure about the d70, personally...i believe a friend has it, and she loves it.

Kate said...

mmm I was looking at the d40 and the olympus e420 because it's quite dinky...but the price! I'm going to have to justify it with the thought (probably untrue thought) that I'll be using it for "work" :)

::{J}:: said...

Really wonderful!! I adore it, if I had a magazine, I'd have you illustrate it!

belleandboo said...

Hi Kate,
I am not sure if I've told you before how much I like your illustration style, especially the little birds, really happy to have found your blog also,
Mandy :)

Paris said...

Oh goodness, well done you! Yay, so so pleased for you!! You have done such a wonderful job, it looks fantastic!xx

pretty face said...

How fabulous! I love the illustrations, what a perfect setting for them... Matches! Congrats.

danica said...

The illustrations look lovely, Kate! I hope wisdom tooth related pain is easing up :)

Hila said...

They look fantastic, well done!

Vicki said...

That cover is beautiful! Really lovely.
I use a Canon 350D which I really like. I looked at the Nikon D40x but decided against as it has a strange lens mount that doesn't fit any other Nikon lenses. My boyfriend uses a Panasonic Lumix which he loves.

Times of Glory said...

Well done, Kate! the job is fantastic! I think they are artistic and clear/easy to browse! Love it!

Edith Purdy said...

Lovely illustrations.

I notice that most people are suggesting SLR cameras... My boyfriend has the Nikon D80 which he loves. However, sometimes you want something small and portable. For this reason I *heart* my Canon Ixus 950. Everyone who sees the pictures I have taken comments on the quality of the camera and it is much friendlier on the purse (I think it was around £250 a few months ago but I suspect the price has dropped now). If you go with one of the SLRs you are looking at around £400 for the camera and then another couple of hundred for the lense. And then you can't pop it in your handbag for those unexpected moments of inspiration...

annah said...

i loveee these!
did they get published?

paola said...

Wow! How fantastic!

That's exactly what I dreamed of you doing for a 'mirrormirror' catalogue. Don't think we could afford you now though! (And we certainly can't afford to do a catalogue.)

Huge congratulations! The pictures are truly great.

Kate said...

Thank you for all of the lovely comments and advice...I'm still wavering on what camera to get, I wish I weren't so indecisive!

annah - yep, they were published, it was so strange seeing my drawings printed up professionally!

Paola - I'd still be happy to help :)